Dear parent / carer
As you may have heard in the media, access to testing is being introduced for households and support/childcare bubbles containing primary and secondary school age children. Testing was made available as of March 1st 2021. This is optional testing being rolled out by the Government. We are sharing this with you for information only.
You can obtain a test in the following ways:
- By booking a test at a local rapid test site Find your nearest rapid lateral flow test site (in North Tyneside the test site is at The Riverside Centre, North Shields)
- By collecting a home test kit from a specified collection point Find your nearest home test kit collection point (in North Tyneside the collection points are test sites at The Parks, North Shields and Coronation St Car Park, Wallsend opening times 1pm-7pm)
- By ordering a home test kit online Order rapid lateral flow home test kits
The service when conducting home testing is known as the Community Collect Service and it enables individuals:
- To undertake twice-weekly testing based on a model of collecting kits and testing at home
- Access two packs of 7 rapid lateral flow self-test kits can be collected per individual up to a maximum of 4 packs where justifiable for example for very large or extended families
- Collect the kits from test sites in North Tyneside
- Each individual must register the test and record the results at home, using the NHS website or through the 119 call centre for positive, negative and void results
- Any individual who undertakes a test at home and reports a positive lateral flow self-test will be directed to undertake a further test to confirm the result by ordering a PCR test online or by booking to attend for a PCR test at a local test site such as The Parks Leisure Centre, Terrace Room, Howdon Road, North Shields or Coronation Street Care Park, Wallsend who offer these tests each morning (but NOT the site at The Riverside Centre as this site only provide rapid testing using lateral flow devices)
Individuals who are not able to collect the home test kits can order the kits online for home delivery. Individuals are encouraged not to order online if they can get a test through other methods. This frees up home delivery for those who need it most.
The full guidance on rapid lateral flow testing for households can be found by CLICKING HERE.
If you receive a positive test result as part of the household COVID testing, please notify school as soon as possible. You should also continue to follow National guidance around testing if your child or a member of your household develops covid symptoms.