The Role of the Governing Body
The governing body plays a crucial role in ensuring the best possible education for our children.
The purpose of governors is to provide, confident strategic leadership and create robust systems of accountability for educational and financial performance.
The full governing body meets every half term, as well as conducting frequent committee meetings and school visits.
The three core functions of the governing board are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic vision
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure money is well spent
Contact our Governors
Governing Body’s Annual Statement
The Issues faced and addressed by the Governing Body over the last year were:
- Governing Body working arrangements and preparation for the Ofsted inspection and responding to its recommendations
- Continued to ensure that the Head Teacher and SLT were supported in their roles
- ‘Learning Walks’ to be undertaken by Governors to increase their depth of understanding of the school
- Monitoring the progress of the KEEP
- Restructuring of the Governor’s sub-committees to enable a more responsive approach
- Responses to the changed Ofsted inspection framework
- Investigation and decision making regarding in-term holiday requests
- Major updates and changes to school website
- Communication letters relating to key information sharing
- Homework survey of staff following requests from parents
- Parent and carer survey including clarification of parent/carer views
- Welcoming new Governors including the Head Teacher of John Spence High School and a new parent governor
- A permanent exclusion
The impact of the Governing Body on the school was:
- Governors knowledge of new data and assessment systems enables Governors to provide further support and challenge to school provision
- Updated and redesigned school website will improve already highly effective communications with parents, carers and visitors
- The parent and carer survey had a very high number of returns and confirms the great success of the school and the strength of highly positive views of parents and carers.
- The pupil survey confirmed that children feel safe, and that the overwhelming majority understand the behaviour policy. This process will be repeated.
- As a result of Governors clarifying stakeholders views, Governors are very clear about pupils and parent/carer views, supporting school to target and determine next steps of development.
|Committee||Abrv.||Name of Chair|
|Staffing and Finance||S&F||Adele Tong|
|Curriculum and Pupil Outcomes||C&O||Claire Graham|
|Premises and Pupil Safety||P&S||Maria Humphreys|
|GOVERNOR / ASSOCIATE MEMBER||CATEGORY||APPOINTED BY OR ELECTED||START DATE||EXPIRY DATE|
|Chris Attwell||Co-opted||Elected||July 11, 2013||July 10, 2021|
|Emily Mason||Staff||Elected||June 1, 2016||May 31, 2020|
|Kate Byrne||Head teacher||Appointed||September 1, 2010||-|
|Adele Tong||Parent||Elected||November 9, 2016||November 8, 2020|
|Claire Graham||Local Authority||Appointed||July 2, 2018||July 1, 2022|
|Greg Houghton||Co-opted||Appointed||September 21, 2015||September 20, 2023|
|Juliet Jackson||Co-opted||Appointed||July 2, 2018||July 1, 2022|
|Mark Stutt||Co-opted||Appointed||June 30, 2016||June 12, 2021|
|Maria Humphreys||Parent||Elected||March 8, 2019||March 8, 2022|