We have recently begun a rolling programme of Forest School sessions in Nursery. Forest School is a fun, exciting way to learn in an outdoor setting such as a woodland.
It is proven to improve children’s confidence, self-esteem and communication skills, as well as giving them an opportunity to have lots of fun in a much different way to which they are used to in Nursery. The children also develop skills in team work, using tools safely and learning to look after our woodlands. Children learn best from first hand experiences. Exploring, playing and so learning using a range of activities (both designed by the leader and instigated by the children themselves) is what Forest School is all about.
Forest School will happen in all weathers (unless it is VERY windy or icy!), so please make sure your child has suitable clothes for the weather. Rain will not cause a cancellation unless accompanied by high winds. Your children will need long trousers, suitable footwear such as wellies or boots, and if it is sunny, they will need a sunhat and suncream applied prior to starting their attendance at school on their allocated day. They WILL get dirty so please only send your children to school on their allocated day in clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Please make sure they still wear their school t-shirt, jumper or cardigan. We will let you know when your child is going to be attending Forest School in advance.
Here are a few quotes from children and families who were involved in our Forest School sessions:
- ‘My child has really enjoyed Forest School. He’s talked about it loads.’
- ‘My child has has loved Forest School. It’s one of the highlights of his week. He loves being outdoors and will continue to use the skills he has learnt. Thank you for giving him the opportunity to experience so many things.’
- ‘My child loves Forest School and asks everyday “Is it Forest School today?”. Fantastic experience for them.’
- ‘My child loves Forest School. She said it’s lots of fun. Think all the group will be sad when Forest School is over.’
- ‘Looks like great fun. He said he loves Forest School, it’s like going to Scout camp with his daddy.’
- ‘My child has been talking about Forest School all night.’
- ‘Thank you so much for all the sessions. My child has loved them and is always telling me about what he has learned in them.’
- ‘Looks like lots of fun. What an amazing experience. Such lucky children.’
- ‘My child loved the chickens and now wants some for our garden! He also wants to go camping, so Forest School is definitely having an influence.’